Chewsday Challenge - North Albert Boston Pizza - June 18th, 2013 (18:00)

Started by Dana_Tillusz, May 26, 2013, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana_Tillusz

*** ChewsDay Challenge ***
Brought to you by

...and...

What: ChewsDay Challenge Boardgame Night.
Where: Boston Pizza, North Albert Street (Regina)
When: Every ChewsDay Night.
Who: Anyone interested in playing boardgames.
Why: Life is Short; Play Games!

THIS WEEK'S EVENT AMBASSADOR: Chad Boudreau
THIS WEEK'S GAME HOST: Matt Robertson & Chad Boudreau
THIS WEEK'S FEATURE GAME: RoboRally & Invasion from Outer Space

:excited :scrab-g :scrab-a :scrab-m :scrab-e :scrab-blank :scrab-s :scrab-c :scrab-h :scrab-e :scrab-d :scrab-u :scrab-l :scrab-i :scrab-n :scrab-g  :excited
GAME: RoboRally
TEACHER: Matt Robertson
START TIME: 6:30
DURATION: 120 minutes
PLAYERS 8
1. Matt Robertson
2. Bellis
3. Tempest
4. Marc Bendig
5. R Newell

GAME: Castles of Burgundy
TEACHER: Mike Gallagher
DURATION: 90 minutes
PLAYERS 7
1. Mike Gallagher
2. Guy Oullette
3. deb
4. David

GAME: Gloom
TEACHER: Chrsitine Moleski
DURATION: 60-90 minutes
PLAYERS 7
1. ZaeraD
2. Dana Tillusz
3. Rosencrantz
4. Cordawg

GAME: Invasion from Outer Space
TEACHER: Chad Boudreau
START TIME: 8:00pm
DURATION: 120 minutes
PLAYERS 6
1. Chad B
2. Lareina
3. Chris S
4. Justine
5. Christine
6. Cordawg

GAME: Pax Porfiriana
TEACHER: Ryan Newell
START TIME: 8:30pm
DURATION: 120 Minutes
PLAYERS 5
1. R Newell
2. Matt Robertson
3. Rosencrantz
4. qwijybo

If you would like to schedule a game. Please post in this event thread with the following information:
Name of the game, when you would like to start, The duration of the game, and the number of players it can accommodate.
Snikt!

ChadBoudreau

Imagine that you're a supercomputer. Now imagine that you're bored. So you dream up a little contest for you and a couple of your supercomputing buddies. Your task is to move one of the stupid little robots out on the factory floor through a series of checkpoints scattered throughout the factory. The wrinkle, however, is that the factory floor is filled with all kinds of inconvenient (if not down-right deadly) obstacles located in various locations: conveyor belts, crushers, flame-throwers, pushers, teleporters, oil slicks, pits, et cetera. But the real fun comes when the robots cross each other's path, and suddenly your perfect route is something less than that...

The ever-spectacular Matt Robertson will be teaching this racing game at 6:30pm. The game supports 8 supercomputers (players).

ChadBoudreau

Invasion From Outer Space is a fast-paced game of fiendish Martians, Big Top Heroes, and Sci-Fi Movie Action. Players take on the role of either the Carnival Heroes, using their special talents and working together to fight off the Martian Invasion; or as the invaders themselves, waves of Martian Soldiers and Flying Saucers, blasting Humans with Ray Guns and unleashing their vile alien technologies upon the Earth.

Featuring a modular game board, eight Carnival Heroes to choose from (such as the Fire Breather, Strongman, or Jo Jo, the dancing Bear), an army of Martians to start the invasion (including Martian Champions such as the dreaded Zard Beast), and several different Scenarios to play that drastically change the game; Invasion From Outer Space is designed to create a cinematic feel as the story and game unfolds.

Admiral Z'llrzt (Game Teacher Chad Boudreau) will lead the Martians against the Carnival Heroes, starting at 8pm. 

ChadBoudreau

In case you needed proof that a game in which Martians battle Carnies is awesome, here is a recap of a game between my wife and I:

QuoteShelley indulged me with a game of Invasion from Outer Space. She wanted to be the Heroes and so I played Martians, which I really enjoy.

The scenario we pulled was the one where the Martians have to destroy four of the five crowds on the board. Heroes pulled were Jojo the Dancing Bear, Lucrezia the Contortionist, Archibald the Human Cannonball, and Flannigan the Ringmaster.

As the game got underway, Archibald was on his own in the upper corner of the board. He ran into one of the tents and started searching for something useful, while outside the Martians landed and started moving toward a crowd.

Lucrezia and Flannigan also did some searching while Jojo the Dancing Bear ran out of the bear tent, toting some kerosene. Jojo was ready to kick some Martian butt.

Shelley used fire well in this game. She cut off one Martian pack so it had to go around a building, thus she protected a crowd from harm. In the latter third of the game, however, fire got out of control and Lucrezia found herself in the midst of an inferno. The already injured Lucrezia perished.

But Archibald was the first to die. Having found a brace of pistols he stormed out into the night and started popping Martians. He got himself into a fix though-- he got surrounded by a couple Martian packs and the Zard Beast and was killed.

The ending of the game was cinematic. With three crowds butchered and the final two terribly wounded, Jojo protected one of the crowds thus drawing all fire from the Martians nearby. He absorbed repeated blasts from ray guns for several rounds, dancing his way through the laser fire, but taking the occassional hit. The Firebreather was at his side, doing what she could to protect him. The Heroes won the day-- discouraged by heavy losses and the bravery of the Heroes, the Martians returned to their ships and fled. But this glorious ending was not without sadness. Jojo was mortally wounded in the final fight and as the Martian ships faded away into the night sky so too did the life of this brave dancing bear.

I should also let you know that my wife pimped out Jojo. He now sports a pink tuto infused with glitter.

Bellis

I believe I am ready for the challenge of Robo Rally, so please sign me up.  :excited

Chad, your Invasion from Outer Space game really sounds great, and hopefully you'll bring it out for another CC. By then I should realize which side (humans or martians) really deserves my support. (Right now I think the martians are just badly misunderstood.)

Lareina

Confirming for myself, Chris and Christine. I need to find out about Justine later :)

I'll get Christine to post when she gets back from Saskatoon, but she would like to run a game of Gloom later in the night.

Cordawg

Bix Conners

Quote from: Bellis on June 09, 2013, 01:23:05 PM
I believe I am ready for the challenge of Robo Rally, so please sign me up.  :excited

Caution: This game has been know to induce cursing or at the very least , a hardy...

NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

R Newell

Please add this to the first post:

For 8:30

Pax Porfiriana – Latin for "The Porfirian Peace" – refers to the 33-year reign of dictator Porfirio Díaz, who ruled Mexico with an iron hand until toppled by the 1910 Revolution.  As a rich businessman (Hacendado) in the turbulent pre-revolutionary borderlands of the U.S. and Mexico, players compete to build business empires of ranches, mines, rails, troops, and banks while subverting opponents with bandidos, Indians, and lawsuits.

Pax Porfiriana is a card game that plays up to 5 players and takes about 2 hours to play (according to the rules; I've yet to try it).  The game is fairly complex, so keep that in mind before signing up.

Tempest

Put me down for robo rally. I'll bump the first formula d league race to next week!
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.