Prairie Game eXpo - Core Ritchie Centre - Saturday, June 28th, 2014 (9:00am)

Started by Dana_Tillusz, March 25, 2014, 09:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

ChadBoudreau

Players each represent a particular state during the 19th century – Connecticut and New Hampshire with two players, with Vermont added for three players, and so on – and start with two or three businesses in play under their control. Your goal in NER is to have more assets than other players at game end, as determined by cash in hand, cost of businesses owned, special routes completed and state subsidies acquired.

The game lasts at most 16 rounds. Each round players forecast the upcoming economic condition – depression, normal or prosperity – for a future turn, then take care of any events that occur, such as "Improved Bridge Building Techniques" that allow players to build across estuaries or "Sheep Boom Goes Bust" which represents the decreased demand for wool from New England farmers as the century progressed. Four of the first five events are fixed and represent historical activities, while the other events – including devastating floods, snow, and an improved business climate – are randomized into a face-down deck. Players then each draft a business or action card, with the option to play it immediately (thereby gaining a free action) if they choose to pay the cost.

During the subsequent development phase, players take two actions in turn order, either building twice, playing cards twice, or doing each action once. Players want to build depots that connect their businesses to one of the major markets in the area: New York, Boston or Montreal; to do so, they need to pay the track costs as well as the cost of the depots themselves. Players can build multiple depots in the same action, but the cost is higher since they're doing more work in the same amount of time. Once a business is connected, it earns the owner more income each turn since it's now supplying a larger, richer market. The cards allow players to start new businesses, play special actions, claim a special route (which generates income), claim one of the six state mail contracts, or collect a state subsidy, which provides special benefits like a free depot.

As the game progresses, the players pass through time time periods, with different businesses being available in each. The first period focuses on crafts and farms, for example, while the second introduces more industrial businesses such as shoe and textile production. When passing from one period to another, players must choose to make some of their existing businesses obsolete. Since a player can manage only eight businesses, however, you'll likely want to make room for more profitable ventures anyway.

If all mail routes, state subsidies and special routes are claimed by the end of any round, the game ends at that point; otherwise the game ends after round 16, with the richest player winning.

Game teacher omegadirective is a regular at Chewsday Challenge. He has taught many railway games. The game starts at 9am and supports 5 players. It has a play time of 180 minutes.

ChadBoudreau

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil!

Take on the role of a canny fighter hacking through enemies with an enchanted sword, a powerful sorceress blessed with magic by the hint of demon blood in her veins, a wise cleric of gods benevolent or malign, a witty rogue ready to defuse even the deadliest of traps, or any of countless other heroes. The only limit is your imagination!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of thousands of gamers just like you.

Prairie Game Expo is excited to have Pathfinder RPG on the schedule.

Moose Jaw-based Aaron F will run two separate adventures. The first is at 11:00am, supports 4 players and takes 120 minutes. The second is at 3pm, supports 6 players, and takes 180 minutes. Both are new player friendly. You don't need to bring anything. Aaron is providing pre-generated characters and is prepared to teach new players. Experienced players welcome, as well.

DCStyles

Please sign me up for the X-Wing tournament and drop me out of Ticket to Ride.
My collection of board games:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chowman13     Feel free to request something and I'll bring it out!

TheStache

Please put me down for the 3PM Pathfinder game. I'm also willing to fill out the table for the early game. I have a few questions about the details of the game:

1) Will the pre-generated characters consist of the Paizo iconics?

2) Which classes will be available?

3) Is there the option of bringing our own characters? If so, what level should they be? Should we use the standard PFS character creation method? Are there any further restrictions?

ChadBoudreau

Quote1) Will the pre-generated characters consist of the Paizo iconics?
2) Which classes will be available?
3) Is there the option of bringing our own characters? If so, what level should they be? Should we use the standard PFS character creation method? Are there any further restrictions?

1. I don't know, but I can ask the organizer and post when I find out more.
2. Same as #1.
3. Characters will be provided. Do not bring your own characters. Pre-generated characters will make the game easy for new players but will also assist the GM in managing the game.

ChadBoudreau

Warmachine / Hordes Tournament
Start time: 10:00 am
Players: 8 player max.

Rules
- 50 Point lists; make two. 
- No duplication of Character units and solos. (Sorry to any Merc players.)
- Steamroller rules and scenarios.
-3 Rounds

This tournament supports up to 8 players. Post on this forum to reserve your spot.

Questions can be posted on this forum.

Bix Conners

I will run Railways of the World.

Start: 11:00am
Duration: Up to four hours.
Players: Up to 6
Map: Will be determined based on the number of people who sign up.

*Signup is now located at the start of this thread*
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

R Newell

Jon

Yes, Matt, I plan to be on for sure for Railways of the World. Still one of my favourite games!