Chewsday Challenge - North Albert Boston Pizza - February 4, 2014 (18:00)

Started by Dana_Tillusz, January 08, 2014, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana_Tillusz

*** ChewsDay Challenge ***
Brought to you by

...and...

What: ChewsDay Challenge Boardgame Night.
Where: Boston Pizza, North Albert Street (Regina)
When: Every ChewsDay Night.
Who: Anyone interested in playing boardgames.
Why: Life is Short; Play Games!

:excited Click HERE for Important Information about these events :excited

THIS WEEK'S EVENT AMBASSADOR: Chad Boudreau
THIS WEEK'S GAME HOST: Bryce Robinson
THIS WEEK'S FEATURE GAME: What's He Building in There?

:excited :scrab-g :scrab-a :scrab-m :scrab-e :scrab-blank :scrab-s :scrab-c :scrab-h :scrab-e :scrab-d :scrab-u :scrab-l :scrab-i :scrab-n :scrab-g :excited

GAME: What's He Building in There?
TEACHER: Bryce Robinson
START TIME: 6:30pm
DURATION: 180 Minutes
PLAYERS...
1. Bryce Robinson
2. Matt Robertson
3. Robert Kuster
4. scuudz
5. Colin Dearborn
6. NeikeDjour

GAME: Nation: A Mighty Spark
TEACHER: Marc Bendig
START TIME: 6:30pm
DURATION: 60 Minutes
PLAYERS 4
1. Marc Bendig
2. prairieguy
3. omegadirective

GAME: Dr. Shark
TEACHER: Lareina
START TIME: 7:00pm
PLAYERS 6
1. Lareina
2. Chris
3. Roxy72
4. Junacorn
5. miles
6. CappyZed

GAME: D-Day Dice
TEACHER: Prairieguy
START TIME: 7:30pm
PLAYERS 4
1. Prairieguy

GAME: 7 Wonders
TEACHER: scuudz
START TIME: 8:30pm
PLAYERS 7
1. scuudz

GAME: The Cowboys
TEACHER: Chad Boudreau
START TIME: 8:30pm
DURATION: 90 Minutes
PLAYERS 4
1. Chad Boudreau
2. Bellis
3. omegadirective
4. Maelven

If you would like to schedule a game. Please post in this event thread with the following information:
Name of the game, when you would like to start, The duration of the game, and the number of players it can accommodate.
Snikt!

Dana_Tillusz

Due to popular demand:

Now that you've got some experience as an Evil Doctor, it's time to move onward and upward. Where's the place to be in the Evil Doctoring World of the late 1800s? London. What's your plan? Find a cheap warehouse somewhere to build your Doomsday Machine. Scotland Yard is on your trail, however, so in addition to your Doomsday Machine, you'll have to build an Escape Plan.

In the worker-placement style game What's He Building in There?, players use their Doctors and three henchmen to acquire resources at the available shops, acquire gold, visit the black markets, provide the "Genius at Work" labor (GAW), provide "Manual Labor" (ML), improve the Doctor's social standing, and invent things. You must complete both a Doomsday Machine and an Escape Plan, with higher level Doomsday Machines and Escape Plans garnering more victory points, and you need to do it quickly. Scotland Yard is getting suspicious, after all, so you have to do what you need to do in 15 turns. Players can earn additional victory points for fitting in with society, eccentricity, security and inventions.
Snikt!

Bix Conners

Matt Robertson & Robert Kuster would like to see what Bryce is building in there.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

scuudz

Please sign me up for what's he building in there?

I will bring 7 Wonders along and could teach/run a game of that once the previous game is done. 

7 wonders plays 2-7 and runs about 60 mins including teaching time.

Matt - let me know if the Combat Commander fan you were referring to at the expo will be in attendance.  If so, and if we have time, maybe he/she can teach me the game!

ChadBoudreau

7 Wonders lasts three ages. In each age, players receive seven cards from a particular deck, choose one of those cards, then pass the remainder to an adjacent player. Players reveal their cards simultaneously, paying resources if needed or collecting resources or interacting with other players in various ways. (Players have individual boards with special powers on which to organize their cards, and the boards are double-sided). Each player then chooses another card from the deck they were passed, and the process repeats until players have six cards in play from that age. After three ages, the game ends.

In essence 7 Wonders is a card development game. Some cards have immediate effects, while others provide bonuses or upgrades later in the game. Some cards provide discounts on future purchases. Some provide military strength to overpower your neighbors and others give nothing but victory points. Each card is played immediately after being drafted, so you'll know which cards your neighbor is receiving and how his choices might affect what you've already built up. Cards are passed left-right-left over the three ages, so you need to keep an eye on the neighbors in both directions.

ChadBoudreau

I'm bringing The Cowboys again for another go. I've been adding some rules as a playtest for a miniatures Western game I'm running for another group in the near future. Based on how last week's game of Cowboys went, I'm dropping a couple rules, and modifying another. I'd like to give it another go.

The Cowboys uses modular boards, cardboard stand-ups, and is a thematic shoot 'em up. Last week, after robbing a bank, Bellis and KimberlyCupcake's 5 villains had to escape with the loot. It wasn't going to be easy though. The townsfolk caught wind of the robbery and were converging on the bank. Only 2 of the 5 bad guys escaped but that is all that was needed for a win. Bodies littered the street and alleyways.

My favorite moment: One of the villains mounted a horse, snapped the reins, and raced down the street toward approaching townfolk. His shots missed. The townsfolk did not. The cowboy took a hit. Then the horse got shot. The cowboy was thrown from the saddle and lay in the dirt dazed for a round. When he stood up he found himself surrounded by angry townsfolk. The cowboy went down in a hail of rifle-fire. It was at that point Bellis and KimberlyCupcake abandoned that route and decided to turn the villains around and try a different route.

I was also fond of the moment when a horribly wounded cowboy turned on his heel and slowly crept through the back-door of the saloon, thinking he could get away. The townsman who had wounded him moved quickly, closed the gap, and shot the wounded cowboy in the back in the saloon. There isn't a lot of the honour in this version of the Old West.

So if you want to slap leather and test your mettle, sign-up for The Cowboys.

Colin Dearborn

NeikeDjour

Let me know if you want to me to bring out a specific game: Game List

Tempest

Just making a note that I'll be there for Risk Legacy night. Should most likely be starting after 7:00. If there's time afterwards I'll probably bring around Legendary or something.
Got a request for a game, check out this link right here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/t_shak I'd be more than glad to bring any of these out to play.

Lareina

Chris and I will be teaching Dr Shark @ 7pm: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/108783/dr-shark

It's a dexterity game that uses touch, so if you have really callous fingers, this game will be somewhat difficult for you. The game goes up to 6 players, so 4 more players, and takes about an hour and 15 mins with explanation.