Strategy Saturday - Argyle Road Baptist Church - Saturday, July 14, 2012

Started by Allan Luesink, June 28, 2012, 11:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Luesink

Hello everyone,

I trust you all survived this week's crazy weather.  Hopefully you didn't have any property damage and are getting ready for the Canada Day holiday weekend.  Me?  I'll be working - someone has to make sure that there is gas available for all you travelers.

So this weekend is no doubt busy, busy.  But the two weekends later ... well it's time for July's Strategy Saturday!  If you remember, July has a historical theme and for our Feature Game we're going to reach way back to a game set in feudal Japan called Samurai SwordsSamurai Swords was originally released as Shogun and has just recently been republished under a third name of Ikusa.  Though there are three names, it is all the same game.  It also has a big brother, a game you've likely heard of - Axis & Allies.  Check out the links for a short history of the two's relationship.

Samurai Swords has 2-5 players seeking to dominate Japan and claim the title of Shogun by directing their generals and their armies.  Intrigue, assassinations, sieges, and epic battles make up the game in which timely and bold gambits will win the day.  If you like Risk, Axis & Allies, or Diplomacy then this should be right up your alley.

Special thanks to Dwayne Wright for being willing to bring his copy - I sold mine to a friend years ago.  Of course if you also have a copy feel free to bring it - maybe we'll have multiple people claiming to be Shogun by evenings end.

We'll be in the basement of Argyle Road Baptist Church (3510 Argyle Rd) from 7pm to midnight.  As usual we'll have our snack counter open so feel free to contribute a drink or something to munch on.  And feel free to bring along friends (and to forward this email).

Hope you'll be there,

Allan
(along with Michael and Barry)

PS - And here's a reminder on what we see the rest of the year looking like as far as our themes for Strategy Saturday's Feature Game segment.  If you have a game that hits one on these themes and you'd be willing to feature it, let me know.  Of course your always welcome to bring your game even if it doesn't neatly fit into a theme (within reason of course):

August 11- Family/Gateway (Intro)
September 8 - Business
October 13 - Retro (20 years or older)
November 10 - Party/Group
December 8 - Open