Flames of War - Q&A

Started by Kage, March 07, 2011, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kage

Quote from: Dean Dodge on October 31, 2011, 09:48:34 AM
Hi Kage, are you going to do FOW at the FRAGcon this spring? I would be  up for playing. We are going to run warhammer as well so if we can arrange  to have those at different times I would love that.

For FOW if you needed extra terrain feel free to use what ever I have.

I'm sure I can be persuaded.

I've been doing a lot of painting...will have some fancy new units to show off.

Dean Dodge

Howdy,  I think you've mentioned that you do some painting with an airbrush. What kind of airbrush woudl you suggest. I've got about 50 vehicles and 100 stands of 15mm guys to paint.

Kage

Quote from: Dean Dodge on October 31, 2011, 02:04:50 PM
Howdy,  I think you've mentioned that you do some painting with an airbrush. What kind of airbrush woudl you suggest. I've got about 50 vehicles and 100 stands of 15mm guys to paint.

Buy a cheap one from Hong Kong.

A lot of painters will tell you to buy the most expensive ones.  That is total BS.

A good airbrush can run you $200 -$300
the ones from hong kong are almost the same, but I bought 4 for $100 including shipping

Especially if you are new...view airbrushing like Russians infantry.

You WILL break your first one.  would you rather break a $300 one or a $25 one?

for this scale you definitely want to go with a Duel action 3mm or 3.5mm.

I go with 3.5mm for varnish and base coat
3mm for infantry and detailing.
2mm one for fine camo lines.

you'll also need a compressor and a moisture trap.

lots of good kits on E-bay.

If you don't want to order on line and want to try right away,  Princess Auto has a good 3.5mm airbrush.
Great for a first timer.  The only thing I don't like  about it, is that it is a Suction feed.

I prefer Gravity fed.  Way less paint,  way less problems.  but they are more expensive.

Dean Dodge

Fantastic good info. I appreciate it very much. As I age I'm finding it hard to paint 15mm at all. I've even started collecting 1/32 (54mm) ww2 stuff to play with and paint.

Kage

Quote from: Dean Dodge on November 01, 2011, 09:14:36 PM
Fantastic good info. I appreciate it very much. As I age I'm finding it hard to paint 15mm at all. I've even started collecting 1/32 (54mm) ww2 stuff to play with and paint.

If you do get one, a little tip of the trade.  Use Windex to thin your paint.

And I find Tamyia paints work best through an airbrush.

Dean Dodge

I was looking at buying a $35 starter one from redline hobby today. I bought a bunch of 54mm ww2 soldiers instead. I'm doing soem 54mm ww2 skirmish games for a while it seems.

Kage

Quote from: Dean Dodge on November 02, 2011, 03:10:56 PM
I was looking at buying a $35 starter one from redline hobby today. I bought a bunch of 54mm ww2 soldiers instead. I'm doing soem 54mm ww2 skirmish games for a while it seems.

If its the one I'm thinking of, that is a single action brush. 
Probably fine for 54mm scale.

that is a 5mm tip.  pretty big for 15mm.

And single action means its on or off.  You have no control over air flow.

Those are good to learn on, because its pretty hard to screw up the nozzle.

Honestly I'd go to the Princess auto.  You can get a duel action one for the same price.
or the single action one for $15.

Dean Dodge

Thanks. I might make it there tomorrow.

Kage

maybe i'll do an airbrushing demo on my blog.

squalie

Ok, I'm going to say pretty much everything I said in the first post almost 2 years ago.  I have the Warhammer armies I need and I'd like to get into FoW.

As I said originally, I want to play British, and Canadians specifically if possible.  I have the 3rd ed mini rulebook, and noticed that the Canadian 3rd armourd Division army box set is no longer available.  How would I find one and is it even necessary?  Can I just piece it together?  I'm thinking maybe there would be a more friendly Canadian list anyways as maybe some of those units are poo.

I'm talking out of ignorance as the only game I've ever watched was the one with you and Dean a couple years ago Curtis.  I know NOTHING about the game and even less about what units to buy to make a fun Canadian/British list.  But, as I said there are a few good fellows in Saskatoon and Regina playing and I want to be a part of it.

Any more advice for a Canadian newbie would be awesome.