What game is hitting your table?

Started by Bix Conners, May 23, 2012, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolo

Last night we had a 5 player game of Chaos in the Old World (now with Rats!). It was awesome, I lost.

CitOW is one of my favourite games, I love that there are multiple paths to victory, and each Chaos God has a different style.

celticgriffon

Over the past few days I have been playing a few games of Backgammon with my nine year old.  It is a wonderful way for kids to learn to count (although of course he knows this already).  There is so much depth in this game - way more than most people will ever discover.

At the German Club i managed to play two games of King of Siam.  The end game is somewhat fiddly at times and it may be a bit luckier than I would like but overall this was a pretty neat three player experience.  I love games which have alternate end game scoring.

Finally I managed to play a few hands of Gang of Four.  It was much better than I last remember and I could see myself playing this more often moving forward as an alternate to Tichu or Wizard.

Michael
I wonder if you could be anyone would you be yourself? - yup it's mine..

Bix Conners

Last ChewsDay Challenge I played:

Conquest of Planet Earth
Fun game where each player is a race of aliens trying to conquer earth. Card art and flavour text add to the cheese factor. Good times.

Pandemic
I played a three player game of pandemic and it was down to the wire. All measures were close with cards running out, cubes getting low, and outbreaks climbing. We were a mere 1/2 turn away from curing the last disease when a rash of outbreaks ended the game unfavorably. Sorry world. I am no Dustin Hoffman. (Outbreak). :)

Modern Art
I enjoy the auction mechanic in this game. We played a five player game. I really need to play this more than once every 3 years.
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Bix Conners

Last Thursday I played a 3 Player Game of Railways of the World

We played on the Mexico map as it is smaller and would probably be a better game with more tension with only three players. We were right!. Man do I ever love this game. All of my previous plays were on the Eastern USA map. This was an opportunity to try another map. A few observations:

:scrab-a The smaller map created tension and conflict right away. Every turn had to be considered.
:scrab-b All of us went into debt quickly, taking lots of bonds to build through the expensive mountainous regions.
:scrab-c The game only took about 90 minutes or so, which was a huge surprise. The 3 of us have played Railways of the World before so we were not learning the ropes. I am pleased that I can get a game of this in under 2 hours. WooHoo! Great game system!!!
NEW ChewsDay Challenge Website - Community.PwYF.ca
We encourage you to sign up on the new site and get settled in.

Guy Ouellette

Last weekend the boys showed up for a day of gaming

Stone Age with the expansion to 5 players proved to be a lot of fun.

7 Wonders with cities and Leaders expansion also proved to be a lot of fun :  We are looking forward to the next expansion where we can finally interact with others at the table, not just who's on your left or right

Hansa Teutonica a fantastic game enjoyed by everyone

R Newell

I played a 4-player game of Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery this Chewsday (myself, Barry, Cory, and Mark).  It was the first kick at the can for each of us so we played the short version -- we all started off with 7 "influence" out of the 12 required to win the game as the most influential dominus in Rome (if you hold your 12 influence until the end of the phase, not an insta-win).  After a wild back-and-forth phase in which each of us was in a position to potantially win, Barry took the victory in a tie-breaker over Cory, who did not have a gladiator available to send to the arena for a final, bloody battle.  Final scores: Barry (W) 12, Cory 12, Mark 11, Ryan 11.

The short game, which was a learning game for all of us so it started with a rules explanation, took 2 hours from set up to declaring victory.  In a standard game, players start at 4 of 12 influence and, in the long game, players all start at 1.  I imagine the long game would take 4 hours or more and might get repetitive, so the standard game is probably what I'd settle on most often.  I thought it was a great game: the rules were pretty straightforward (though I just realized that we should have increased our hand limit as we gained influence) and I've played few games that have done as well at integrating its theme.

Cordawg

Ryan Spartacus  was a awesome game but only problem I have is the end condition It should b finish out the round then check for victory  because then u can actually  fight or get a 4 way tie and I like the fighting system

Jolo

Last night we played an incomplete game of Republic of Rome, lots to do in the game, but we ran out of time.

Jolo

Blackbeard, the GMT edition was played last night. It was ok, not a great game. I felt we didn't have enough time to advance as pirates before the game ended.

I will try it again, maybe playing the long version of the game

Jolo

Last night was a 5 player game of Container, and it was a tough miserly game. Only one player ended the game without a loan (and he won).

It is an economic game, with a lot going on and it can be confusing to newcomers because of the range of actions.