Strategy Saturday - Argyle Road Baptist Church - Saturday, March 10, 2012

Started by Allan Luesink, March 04, 2012, 10:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Luesink

Hi all,

March is here and so we enter the homestretch of winter.  Years ago I was doing a paper for an astronomy class on the planet of Mars and came across the following interesting fact:  March is named for the Roman god of war, Mars.  I know, shocking right!?  Well, maybe not so much.  However, the reason for the month being called March was that this was the month in which winter ended and the Romans could begin anew their favourite pass time - war.  And since they could now march off to war it became the first month in their calendar.  So if March was 1st then that made September 7th (septem=7), October 8th (octo=8), November 9th (novem=9), and explains why February is the shortest month of the year - it was last and got the left overs.

Ok, so back to the real topic at hand.  This weekend will be Strategy Saturday and falling out of the above facts we're going to theme it Military March.  The Feature Game I'm going to run is going to be Axis & Allies (blue box ed.), a classic in war boardgames.  So if you haven't had an A&A fix for a while come out and we'll get down to rewriting history.  Of course, you don't need to play a military game; the theme is just a suggestion.

We'll be in the basement of Argyle Road Baptist Church (3510 Argyle Rd) from 7pm to midnight.  As usual we'll have our snack counter open so feel free to contribute a drink or something to munch on.  And feel free to bring along friends (and to forward this email).

Hope you'll be there,

Allan
(along with Michael and Barry)